Defense attorney says man shouldn't face new trial after Wake prosecutor's misconduct
Raleigh, N.C. — A man whose conviction was overturned because a Wake County prosecutor withheld evidence should be freed and not have to face a new trial, his defense attorney said Thursday.
Last week, the state Court of Appeals overturned the armed robbery convictions of Barshiri Sandy and Henry Surpris, ruling that Wake County Assistant District Attorney Colleen Janssen had violated the men’s constitutional rights to a fair trial.
Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman placed Janssen on paid leave this week as she reviews the case and decides whether to retry the men. Attorney Deborah Newton, who represented Sandy in his 2014 trial, said she hopes the charges will be dropped.
Full article here.